The Building Regs Part P - NOTIFIABLE OR NOT?

This guide provides a quick reference to whether certain common items of electrical installation work in a dwelling or associated garden, conservatory or outbuilding in England and Wales need to be notified to a building control body.

A company registered with a Part P self-certification scheme, such as the NICEIC Domestic Installer scheme, is not required to notify a building control body prior to carrying out 'notifiable work'. However, such a registered company would need to notify the self-certification scheme operator on completion of the notifiable work.


Anywhere in a dwelling or its surroundings:
a complete new installation or rewire
changing a consumer unit
installing a new final circuit (eg for lighting, heating, socket-outlets, a shower or a cooker)

Electrical work within a "special location":
Any addition or alteration to an existing circuit.

Electrical work within a room containing a swimming pool sauna heater:


PHONE 07876 696961
Copyright 2007. All rights reserved. Energise Electrical Services